Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is it soup yet?

The title says it all, here are some of my favorite soup recipes.


Here is my version of Italian Meatball Soup.  No self respecting Italian would claim this, but my family loves it.  It is a mis-mash of several recipes including Minestrone,and a Tortellini Soup.  Like my other soups, a lot of what goes in the pot has to do with what is in the cupboard.



LYNN
'S ITALIAN MEATBALL SOUP

1 quart Chicken Broth (don't have it use Beef instead)
1 14 oz pkg of frozen meatballs
1 large can of Italian style diced tomatoes
2 cans Cannellini Beans
1 can Kidney Beans (drain all the beans)
1 small can tomato paste
1 pkg frozen spinach
1 pkg frozen peas and carrots
1 can green beans (drained)
3/4 cup orzo pasta
1 lb Italian sausage (I usually use turkey sausage)
2 pkgs of the Italian dressing mix (you know the dry stuff...I buy the store brand instead of the name brand)

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Brown the sausage.

 If you are in a hurry use a soup pot, but I often put this on in the morning in my slow cooker so it is ready when we get done at work.  I add all the ingredients into the pot and stir adding the frozen meatball and spinach last.  If I am using a crock pot I wait on the pasta and cook it and add it right before serving,  I have also substituted cheese tortellini for the pasta.

After all is heated thru, serve with shredded Parmesan and/or Romano cheese and a hunk of Italian Bread with butter.  Nothing better on a cold night.

I hope you love this as much as my family and friends do!
----------------------------------------------------------------------


LYNN'S TORTILLA CHICKEN  SOUP





1 Roasted Chicken from your local grocery store
2 pkgs. taco seasoning
1 pkg. ranch dressing mix
2 cans black beans
1 large jar salsa
1 quart chicken broth
1 bag frozen corn
2 cans kidney beans
1 can chili beans

Shred the chicken and place in a large soup pot with all the remaining ingredients.  Cook on low for about an hour, stirring occasionally.  Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips and cheese!  Perfect for a chilly winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment.