Monday, May 3, 2010

Our How to Train Your Dragon Cake

So the Dad and Lad Cake challenge this year was your favorite movie.  Of course Justin had to do Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon.  Lucky for me I had an article from several years ago about how to make a dragon cake..check it out  It didn't look very difficult, and with a few modifications I knew we could do it!

I read a number of reviews that said frosting the pieces was not the easiest to do, so I decided to cut the pieces and then freeze them.  This made them sturdy enough to be picked up and I carved the shape for the head and tail ...then frosted the areas that would be hard to get to once it was assembled.  My son wanted black frosting, but we only got to dark gray and that worked really well.  I used white chocolate wafers (like you melt to make candy) and shaped them like the eyes on the cartoon and used frosting to make pupils, and white chips for the nostrils.  I added a small plastic Hiccup figurine and made a book out of graham crackers "Dragon 101".   The whole thing went back to the deep freeze.
Here is the finished dragon:

And here is my son with his trophy...he took first place!

Yes, that is another version of the dragon cake beside his...it was second place and the Titanic took third.

So you can see, different people make the same cake different ways.  

Any cake that didn't win was eaten by all of us and the top three were auctioned off..all proceeds go to the Pack.  Justin wanted me to bid on his cake, but I knew we could make another one, I was willing to pay $20 for our cake.  The third place and second place cake each went for around $40...then came our cake...first bid was $10! and before I could bid a shout came out.....$50!!!!!  They wanted that cake..so I told Justin we would make another one for him.  It turned out that the winner was Jared's Grandma buying it for him.  I haven't blogged here about Jared, but he is a member of our pack that has had serious health issues for over a year and hasn't let it get him down.  He is an awesome kid...so if someone had to have that cake, I was glad it was him!

So I will be making another dragon cake for a certain boys birthday in July. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment.