Friday, January 8, 2010

Comfort Food for the Frozen Tundra!

Living here in the Cincinnati area gives me a unique perspective on Winter. I grew up in Northern Ohio (Canton and Toledo) and weather that just shuts this area down wouldn't cause someone in those towns to blink twice.
Yesterday we got about 5 inches of snow and everything closed down, and I am ashamed to say after living here almost 20 years I have become one of them! No school for my son and no work for me on Thursday. This morning I woke up to continued flurries and school canceled again, called my work and only have 2 clients so I am not going in... I have become a weather wimp.
So as I sit here sipping my coffee I am thinking of what to make for dinner, I want comfort food! Food that makes you warm and cozy and reminds you of when you were a kid. I've considered Pancakes and Bacon for dinner (love to make breakfast for dinner). But I have 2 pounds of extra lean ground beef that needs to be used up so I think I will make my version of 9 Layer Dip.
This recipe evolved from my love of TGIFriday's Nine Layer Dip (do they even have it anymore?) I used to order it for my dinner! I created my own version and left out stuff that not everyone enjoys (I put it on the side) So here is my recipe:

LYNN'S LAYERED TACO DIP

1 lb lean ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can refried beans (I like to use the fat free ones)
1 can black beans
1 jar chunky salsa (your favorite will work)
1 can sliced black olives
sour cream
shredded cheese

(guacamole is good on this too and if you want more of a taco salad add lettuce on your plate before eating)

Brown the ground beef and add taco seasoning per package instructions.  Spray a casserole or baking dish with a non stick spray.  Spread the refried beans in the bottom of the pan.  Add the seasoned and browned ground beef.  Next layer the black beans (sometimes I add corn too), salsa, black olives and top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees until cheese is bubbly.  Serve with chips, more salsa and taco sauce, sour cream and anything else you like on your tacos!  Yummy.

As with any recipe, add or subtract what you like or don't like.  Always try to use what you have in the pantry first.

My next recipe is for an easy pie.  I am sure this came from a Pillsbury recipe book that I picked up by the cash register at my local store.  I have long since lost the book, but I still make what I call a Quickie Pie every so often.  This is also good for breakfast.

Lynns Quick Little Pie

1 pre made pie crust (the kind in the dairy case that is rolled up..not the frozen ones)
   you could make your own pie crust if that is your thing... I just like making it as easy as possible
1 can of your favorite fruit pie filling (I like apple and cherry the best)
Soft cream cheese in the tub - I usually use a cheesecake flavored one (if you don't like cream cheese omit this ingredient)
sugar
cinnamon
butter or butter substitute spray

I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet for baking.  Heat oven to 425 degrees. Unroll the premade pie crust on the parchment paper.  Spread the cream cheese down the center of the crust (about a 2 inch wide strip).  Add the pie filling down the center.  I usually sprinkle some cinnamon on it at this point.  Fold your pie crust over the fillings overlapping the sides (it looks like a roll) with the ends open.  Brush on melted butter or spray with butter substitute and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.  Bake for abou 20 -25 min until crust is brown and fruit filling is bubbling.  Let cool for 10 minutes then eat!  You can add ice cream or whipped topping if you like.  This is great when you don't want a whole pie for only a few people.

Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, please leave a comment.